Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Update

I'm skipping class today and I actually feel rather bad about it, so I'm trying to do some productive things with my time to have made it worth it. So far, I've experimented in a radical concept where I store the clean dishes in the cabinets and dirty dishes in the dishwasher. Whoa! Next perhaps I'll try the equally radical idea where I put my clean clothes in the dresser and dirty ones in the laundry bag. At the moment the clean clothes are in the laundry bag and dirty ones on the floor.

Life out here in the 'burbs is all right, I suppose. It's far enough away from the city that it has a lot of rural characteristics, which isn't really a good thing. Yes, I like birds and the woods and things, but the people in rural areas are just dicks. I lived or walked through some nasty areas of Portland on a regular basis and the amount of times anyone honked at me, hollered at me from their car or revved their engine and swerved at me totaled about four. Here, it happens once a week. There are bike lanes, but drivers don't actually expect bicyclists to be in them and when it happens, the bicyclists are subject to a torrent of horns, shouts and abuse. Anything different must be punished! Another thing people don't understand about rural areas is that they're full of criminals. When we think crime, we think cities, but there are enough other people in cities to dilute their effects. Here, everyone in the back half of the bus I ride in the morning know each other because they served in prison together. Awesome! It's difficult to get an apartment as an ex-con so they're often forced to buy a place and that's difficult without much money, so they end up in the cheap areas, which tend to be rural.

Because of all of that and the distance I live from my friends, I've been keeping to myself mostly. This term I'm enrolled in the community college in my new town doing stuff with music recording and production and I'm finishing up a few classes at PSU. That schedule makes for a lot of commuting and a bit of homework as well, making it easy to not go out too much.

If this stupid weather ever improves I'm going to take my newly fixed up bike out for regular rides, do some fishing on the weekends, and weekly hikes with my Portland friends.

2 comments:

Middle Child said...

I grew up in a small country town like that...yet seven miles away was another country town and it was really lovely and peaceful...the people seemed to be more kinder. Not all country people are dicks - just the ones in the town I grew up in ans where you live now...some places have a bad vibe and i don't know why - whether its the people themselves...or a combination of the people and something else ...but the difference in those two towns was amazing.

Its good to have a bot of time by yourself - I do a lot...and like my own company - I like seeing my kids though...and when we are together its like being at home...

Middle Child said...

"Its good to have a bot of time by yourself" I meant "a bit of time"