Friday, August 8, 2008

planes, dreams

I've had a reoccurring dream for years, every few months or so, about planes falling out of the sky. Sometimes they come for me and I try to run to one side or another, but there's just no dodging a huge jetliner bombing towards your head. Other times, like last night, a plane on the horizon just dips and falls into a fiery mess and I try and pick people out of the wreckage. I'm sure it's a metaphor for something and I could probably look it up somewhere. I just wish I was smart enough to undo the riddles my own brain has created for me.

Anyway, this might have had something to do with my urge to go to the airport today. I do that every now and then. I get some coffee from Coffee People, find a seat near the window and watch the planes take off while reading or writing in my journal. I had a book to finish (American Gods, if you're wondering. It was fabulous, too.) and I kind of wanted to rid myself of the lingering disturbing thoughts of last night's dream by watching planes go up, up and away, exactly as they're supposed to.

Like most of my time this summer, today's events did not have a point and neither does this blog post. I'm struggling to find a conclusion here, but really, nothing happened other than some nice thoughts and a few overheard conversations, and certainly nothing reaching the revelation(s) with which I'd like to justify this post. But that's what I wanted this summer. Timeless, pointless, rambling, wandering...

1 comment:

Middle Child said...

Don't know much about dreams except my own, but I understand that if they are in brilliant colour there is more signifigance - I have a recurring dream that I am in a dream within a dream - really freaky but at some time in the dream when things get too bizarre an unexplained cat will run past my feet, usually a wild cat or one that dies in front of me something I am too scared to touch...and I find myself wondering how it got in my house - which is a clue sort of that I am not awake.. queer stuff. I know if we don't dream we start to have mental health problems which is why sleeping pills etc are not great long term because you sleep too deeply for normal dreams or the dreams oyu ahve are too scary...

Still, yours could be a teaching dream and everything represents something, of could be your body's reaction to something you ate or drank, or maybe see if the plane has any writing on it - just in case you are getting on a plane one day and up...you know ITS THAT PLANE ;)