Thursday, July 1, 2010

My Absence

I'll admit it: I'm a nerd. I was so emotionally drained from the just the group stages of the World Cup, not to mention the USA's run at it, that I simply could not write about it or anything else. While I'm feeling much better, I'm still not entirely healed and I'm upset that I have to miss the Germany-Argentina match on Saturday that I had hoped would finish off my cure. Alas.

No, nothing has really been going on other than that. I've applied for a bunch of jobs and gotten exactly zero phone calls. Why advertise for a job if you don't actually have one available? Do they get some sort of financial or tax compensation for listing employment with state agencies? Well, I guess they might. Figures.

4th of July is around the corner and as usual, I will be at my grandparent's lake house up in Washington. Should be good times even if it rains again, which judging by the current conditions and what's been happening since winter supposedly ended, is likely. Hooray for fireworks, beer and for standing on top of my car with my phone in the air, hitting refresh on the Guardian's minute-by-minute report of the Germany match!

2 comments:

Middle Child said...

Hope you enjoy your family time on 4th july - for us its my don's birthday (he would have been 60 which i find hard to credit) and also my lovely mum died on this day - I struggle on this day - our mum wasn't found for three days after she just dropped dead while she was minding my sister's house along way from here...we finally had to call the police when no one could get her on the phone. - its just a day and I have bought a cake and candles - we are a bit sentimental this way in our family - and will have a candle for both mum and don...

I mean enjoy your family - no doubt you already realise how precious they are - you have seen and done a lot for someone your age - but they rerally are precious.

Sara said...

365 days in a year and both your husband's birthday and your mom's death are the same? How cruel.

That side of the family is enjoyable, but of course all gatherings of people will have their tensions and politics, which you know all about, too. Fortunately, there were enough kids around this time that I could immerse myself in silly things and avoid the bickering.