Sunday, June 21, 2009

Lazy Day

Tomorrow I start school again at 8am. It’s been three full months off and six months since I’ve put any serious effort into anything. Thankfully for my academic endurance and attention span, I’m doing all 12 credits in just over four weeks. I then have a few weeks to do nothing before heading out on a cross-country road trip in August. So today has been spent vegging in front of the television, first watching the Confederations Cup soccer games and Top Gear, then some BBC show on nature and Sky Sports.

The U.S. soccer team, sentenced last week to “virtual elimination” from the Confed tournament (in the Guardian’s words), somehow made it to the next round. They needed to win by three goals and needed Brazil to beat Italy by three goals in order to move on, and exactly that happened. Considering how the U.S. played the first two games, they absolutely did not deserve to advance, but since it came at the expense of Italy, the country whose soccer team I despise more than any other, I’ll take. I’ll take it with glee. I hope Guisseppe Rossi is crying right now, that goddamn traitor!

The starters I put in my garden are doing quite well, but of the seeds I planted, only one has done more than simply sprout. Every one of my peas was dug up shortly after planting. What the hell did that? I’m disappointed because even though beans and peas may not be my favorite vegetables, I get more satisfaction out of growing something from seed rather than just hoping I don’t kill the starter.

I went camping earlier this week and didn’t get back to my parent’s place until after three and I didn’t feel like leaving immediately to Portland, so I missed the Timbers game. And what a match to miss! The Timbers won 5-1 and Minnesota got THREE red cards! I don’t even think I’ve seen on tv one team get three red cards in a single match. Incredible!

No comments: