Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Weirdness and Coolness

After last night's post from the side porch I came inside and took a seat near the front door and the television. My roommate and his girlfriend were cuddling and tickling each other on the couch and we were all half watching the Daily Show when some weird light patterns on the window caught my eye. Our living room is mostly windows and as we live on the corner of an intersection (is there any other kind of corner?) there are often cars passing by. I watched out the front window waiting for a car to come by and explain the dancing lights and when it eventually did it illuminated a figure across the street. It startled me and when I squinted in the dark I was made even more uneasy. The man was sitting under a tree with a weak flashlight, staring in my window. "Any reason you can think of why a man would be sitting on the ground across the street?" I asked my roommate. He frowned, took a hurling bat and walked around the side of the house and caught a glimpse of the man as he scurried down another street. What was the guy doing? I felt really uneasy the rest of the night and didn't sleep well, even after locking my windows. I *hate* sleeping without the windows at least cracked, even in wintertime. Officially creeped out.

Today though, one half of the couple who have been living in my basement gave me five dollars for giving him a ride down the street and helping him carry some pillows. Pillows! I felt bad for taking the money, but I'm not in a position to turn down cash these days. He seemed genuinely grateful for the help too, so what the hell.

1 comment:

Middle Child said...

even in midwnter I prefer the windows open and curtains open...some creep like that too easily ruins your sense of wellbeing and safety...gotta spare can of capsicum spray???